The more powerful the graphics card in your PC, the better the gaming experience it’ll provide. So, are you willing to upgrade graphics but don’t know how to remove graphics cards from your computer? Then no worries, as we’re going to teach you step-by-step how to remove the graphics cards from your PC.
This is going to be a quick post. So, ensure you stay around till the end so you can remove your GPU in a good way.
Rather than wasting any more time, let’s get right to the point.
The video card, also known as a graphics card, plays a key role in the computing process. On a computer, it creates the video signal that is displayed on the screen. The display unit is usually integrated into the computer’s display unit or mounted on the motherboard. Graphics cards display images as their primary function.
If you do not have a graphics card installed on your computer, you will not be able to see any data or perform any functions. GPUs receive information from processors, then work with software to determine where dots should be displayed.
Also, read Best GPU for Ryzen 5 3600
How To Remove Graphics Cards From Your PC
Before heading to the steps, we’re first going to tell you about some of the things that you should check before starting the procedure. Remember, the steps that we’re going to mention in this article are for AMD GPUS.
So, if you want to remove another model of your GPU, then make sure you contact the manufacturer.
Is Your GPU Integrated or Dedicated?
You must do this before even thinking about removing the GPU. Your graphics card’s type will determine how you should remove it. Integral graphics cards are soldered to the motherboard or integrated into the CPU chip, making them impossible to remove.
Due to laptops’ built-in graphics cards, you cannot remove the graphics card from your laptop.
Although there are some variations, the majority of modern laptops have integrated GPUs and CPUs that are soldered to the motherboard.
The motherboard won’t work even if it’s removed. All you can do in these situations is uninstall your graphics card’s driver and install an additional GPU, which has no limitations.
Also, read Best Budget GPUs
Things to do before starting the procedure of removing the GPU
Before you start the procedure, the following are the things that you must do.
- Start the computer, and then remove any graphics drivers or software that you have installed to prevent potential conflicts while installing the new graphics card.
- Switch off your computer and any other devices connected to it.
- Take 20 seconds to disconnect all cables connected to the side of your machine (power cords, audio/display cables, and so on) in order to avoid harm to the machine.
- Take off the cover of the case. System builders have specific steps to remove the case cover and case cover. Please refer to the manual to learn more.
Steps to Removing the GPU From Your PC
- Use an antistatic wristband that is connected to an object that is grounded whenever you handle any component of your system. Local computer stores sell anti-static wrist straps for a reasonable price.
- The cables connecting your graphics device to the internal circuits should be unplugged (including the special power connections if appropriate).
- Locate and remove the mounting bracket for the graphic card. case mounting bracket.
- Pull the lever on the expansion slot to release it.
- Remove the graphics card from the computer by pulling it out of the slot.
- The antistatic bag should be placed inside the graphics card.
Those are the steps you need to follow to remove the graphics card from your computer. As stated earlier as well, These steps are for all AMD GPUs, not for other GPUs. Even so, most of the GPUS can be removed by following the same methods. But still, it’s crucial for you to contact the manufacturer of the GPU you’re using. They’ll guide you better about removing it.
Also, read Best External Graphics Cards
How to remove a graphics card? Now you know how to do this. Follow the steps carefully that we’ve mentioned above. Whenever you need any assistance, you can always contact us in the comment section below.